Here, at this house, at the end of Rothschild Blvd., at the heart of Little Tel Aviv, David Ben-Gurion declared on the 5th of the month of Iyar, 14th may 1948, the establishment of the State of Israel. This house had been erected by Meir Dizengoff, the first mayor of Tel Aviv, who resided here with his wife, Zina. In 1930, following his wife’s death, Dizengoff decided to donate his home to the city, and the place served as an art museum from 1932 to 1971. In 1978 the historic hall was reconstructed, in which the ceremony of declaration of the Independence of the State of Israel took place.
What’s at the site: the precisely restored historic hall, with the names of the dignitaries who attended the ceremony on the stage and chairs. Above the stage the portrait of Benjamin Ze’ev Herzl is displayed with the State’s flags on both sides. The hall’s walls are decorated with reproductions of photos that were presented at the site at the time of the ceremony. Next the hall there is another room with objects and documents related to the declaration ceremony. In addition one can listen to the original recording of the ceremony and watch a movie describing the events of the period and the history of the house.
For the general public: guided tours for groups by advance coordination, which take the visitors to the cradle of Zionism, for Herzl’s vision through the foundation of the First Hebrew City to the Declaration of Independence. The tour ends with a replay of the declaration ceremony at the historic hall.
For children: tours including a replay of the declaration ceremony at the historic hall. Tours are suitable for all ages.