At the heart of Neve Tzedek, on Rokach Street, stands the Nachum Gutman Museum of Art. The museum was founded in 1998 in a historic house, built by the Schulman family in 1887 as one of the first 48 houses, which constituted the nucleus for the new neighbourhood of Neve Tzedek. Between the years 1907-1914 the house used by the editorial staff of the “Hapoel Hatzair” newspaper. The editor Yosef Aharonovich and the writers Dvora Baron and Yosef Haim Brenner lived in at the site, and the house became a literary focal point and a meeting place for the group of Hebrew writers who paved the way for early Hebrew culture and was known as “The Writers' House”. Following an obstinate struggle for its saving the house underwent restoration works in the 1990’s, and the Municipality of Tel Aviv decided that the house be dedicated to the creation of the artist Nachum Gutman and display his rich estate.
What’s at the site: altering art exhibitions form the museum’s collection, including paintings, drawings and sculptures created by Nachum Gutman, and thematic exhibitions combining the works of contemporary Israeli artists. In addition, the museum has a wing displaying lithography, prints, posters and postcards created by Nachum Gutman, books transcribed and illustrated by him and more.
For the general public: guided tours of the museum; guided tours of Neve Tzedek; a gallery discourse.
For children: guided tours of the museum, art workshops, story hours, birthdays; experiential and dynamic guidance including a discussion, observation, creative activity, music and motion.