The building of Hosmasa was built in 1934 on ground purchased by the owners of “Agrobank”, Ya'akov Mirenburg and Shimon Yavetz. It is a Bauhaus structure, which was built as a residence over a water well and housed the guard and his family. The surrounding garden was planned by garden architect Yechiel Segal. The Hosmasa area of Holon and the surrounding sands were used by the Haganah as training fields from the mid 1930’s until 1948. Training was performed with weapons which had been buried in the area and slicks (hiding places for weapons) in the well and the garden surrounding the building. During the War of Independence Hosmasa served as a station on the secure road which connected Tel Aviv with the southern settlements and led to Jerusalem and the Negev. Convoys used it to transport supplies and equipment, food, weapons, ammunition and people to the far off and besieged settlements.
What’s at the site: an active experiential display on the Haganah in Holon – the training, underground activities, secrecy, values of the period, the secure road and daily life at the time for the struggle for independence – all through photos, documents, objects and interactive presentations; the Hosmasa Garden, with spread exhibits of the Davidka mortar, first tested at Hosmasa and slicks for hiding weapons; the Hosmasa well from the 1930’s, which was used as a slick and is still operative today.
For the general public: guided tours of the exhibits of the Hosmasa museum and other sites in the city (the Pilibox and the secure road) and/or a visit to the story gardens and other sites in Holon; tours of the sands, focused on ecology, animals and sand flora.
For children: experiential activities in the spirit of the time.