The “Founders' House” has the purpose of collecting, preserving and displaying details of local, public and family history of both towns, Pardes Hanna and Karkur, which were united in 1969 to a single municipal authority named Pardes Hanna-Karkur.
The lands of Karkur were purchased in 1912-3 by the Hachsharat Ha’Yishuv Company. The permanent settlement commenced after the First World War. Starting form 1920, the town was built by different groups of settlers, including the London Estate company, some of which had purchased their lands while still being abroad. Construction was performed in the format of establishing neighbourhoods and planting orchards. In 1921 the first well was drilled. During the first years the people of Karkur had to fight the daily hardships and harassment of the surrounding Arabs.
The lands of Pardes Hanna were purchased in the years 1920-26 by the PJCA (Palestine Jewish Colonization Association) Company. The company had prepared a settlement plan, and the sale of the plots to single settlers started in 1927. The houses were built jointly, and each settler purchased a plot of 25 dunams (25,000 metres) for planting an orchard. Populating began in 1929. The first settlers were PJCA activists.
What’s at the site: the “Founders' House”, which was originally the first kindergarten of Pardes Hanna, houses a rich archive concerning the two united towns.
For the general public: the archive is open to the public. Guided tours for adults take place by advance booking and coordination.
For children: “Pioneers House” holds torus and guidance for school pupils throughout the year.